Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Apps Review (Class Dojo and Remind)

Useful for My Own Use (If I had my own classroom!)
Class Dojo has many positive uses for the classroom.  According to their website the teacher will create the online classroom.  Students will be given a login for themselves and their parents.  This provides a platform for open communication.  Teachers can communicate with students by posting agendas, assignments, encouraging videos, and progress reports.  Parents can be notified of participation rates, progress reports, and virtually any information the teacher wishes to convey.  It is difficult for parents and teachers to carve out time to meet and discuss learning agendas for students so the most useful aspect of this application is that it provides the platform for successful collaboration between the teacher, student and parent.
One of the most pleasant aspects of this app is that there were no surprises for me other than the ease of use for all parties utilizing the application.
Remind is a mobile app that enables teachers to stay in touch with their students without risking the exposure of their personal information on the internet.  Teachers can text, email or video chat with a single student or group of students anytime anywhere.  They can inform them about upcoming assignments, grades, team/class meetings or simply touch base with them to encourage or assist in the learning process.  If I had my own class, I would connect with both students and parents with the application.  Both to keep all parties informed about what is going on in class and to organize the students prior to a class session.  I can see this application being used by both academic teachers and extracurricular teachers (i.e. coaches) as well as Career Tech teachers.  This application is relevant for all grades, K-16.
Again, there were no surprises except that this app is so easy to use and relevant to all grades and subjects.
Apps Used in My Professional Life
My current use of apps professionally consists of using applications that apply to my education, (i.e., Microsoft Word, Blackboard and Email).  However, because I substitute teach I use a mobile app called Jobulator that notifies me when a teacher is going to be out.  I can then either accept or reject the assignment.  After the assignment I can provide feedback about what we did in class or how the class behaved.  I also use text messaging to communicate with the teachers throughout the day.  Occasionally, I use an app in the classroom, if a teacher requests it, such as MobyMax or EdPuzzle.
Churches and Mobile Apps
Medium and large churches have come into the fold of using technology, specifically mobile technology, in ways many never thought possible.  Churches use mobile apps to provide anytime, anywhere streaming of sermons, scheduling youth group events and bible study meetings.  They use mobile apps to do community outreach and support mission funds and projects.  Additionally, churches use social media to keep parishioners abreast of the goings on in the Church.  Mobile technology is becoming as prevalent in church as it is in the worlds of education and business.  It is helping to reach more and more people for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment